Stephen A. Colley
- Franchise registration and representation
- Sale or purchase of a business
- Shareholder agreements
- Real Estate
- Professional Practice Transactions
- General business services
As a former attorney with the San Diego Office of the Department of Corporations-the local government office responsible for franchise registration and law enforcement-I am intimately familiar with business and franchising laws. Whether you are a franchisor, franchisee, corporate owner, partner in a business, or sole proprietor, I can help you with you legal needs.
Mr. Colley holds a Bachelor of Arts from the University of Los Angeles (UCLA) and a Masters in Clinical Psychology from California State University at Los Angeles. He earned his juris doctor in 1976 from the University of San Diego School of Law.
In addition to his work in private practice, Mr. Colley frequently lectures on franchise and business law and has served as a speaker for various professional organizations and trade shows. He has written a number of articles on topics relevant to his area of expertise, including shareholder agreements, tax implications for business transactions, and franchising among other things.
- University of San Diego School of Law, San Diego, California
- Juris Doctor - 1976
- Honors: cum laude
- University of Los Angeles (UCLA), Los Angeles, California
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts - 1971
- California State University, Los Angeles, California
- Masters in Clinical Psychology
- California, 1976
- U.S. Federal Court, 1976
- AV Rating regarding legal ability and ethics by the national firm of Martindale-Hubbell*
- San Diego Office of the Department of Corporations, Attorney
Fraternities or Sororities
- Beta Theta Pi
- State Bar of California
- San Diego County Bar Association
- American Bar Association’s Forum on Franchising as well as Business, Tax, and Corporate section
Current Employment Position
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ fall into two categories — legal ability and general ethical standards.